- The most beautiful things in the universe are the starry heavens above us and the feeling of duty within us.
- A person consists of his faith. Whatever is his faith, even so is he.
- These can never be true friends: Hope, dice, a prostitute, a robber, a cheat, a goldsmith, a monkey, a doctor, a distiller.
- Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
- An arch never sleeps.
- If you live in the river you should make friends with the crocodile.
- There is nothing noble in being superior to some other person. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.
- Life is a bridge. Cross over it, but build no house on it.
- It is better to sit down than to stand, it is better to lie down than to sit, but death is the best of all.
- Nonviolence is the supreme law of life.