close

  
Filter options:

Freebase Commons Metaweb System Types /type

Freebase Commons Common /common

  • The Kalighat Falta Railway was one of four 2 ft 6 in narrow gauge lines built in the early part of the 20th Century by McLeod & Company, a subsidiary of a London company of managing agents, McLeod Russell & Co. Ltd, to open up undeveloped parts of India, all of them in and around Kolkata. The running of the trains were managed by a company called the McLeod's Light Railways. This company also owned and managed the Ahmedpur Katwa Railway, Burdwan Katwa Railway and the Bankura Damodar Railway lines. KFR was 26.95 miles long, opened on 28 May 1917 from Gholeshapur in Behala to Falta and was extended a further 0.92 miles to Majherhat on 7 May 1920. The KFR line was the first in India to use three brand new 2-6-2 side tank AK16 locomotives, built in November 1916 by W. G. Bagnall Ltd. of the Castle Engine Works at Stafford in England. They entered service with KFR in February, 1917. The 'AK' in the name stood for 'Ahmedpur-Katwa'. They were also known as the 'Delta Class' engines and they were very successful and a lot many were used in the following years till 1953 when the last order was placed.

Freebase Commons Location /location

Street Address Street Address 2 Street Address 3 Street Address 4 City/Town State/Province/Region Postal Code Country
  • -

Freebase Commons Rail /rail

Comments

Hide