<p>Minneapolis Central Library, located at 300 Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis, is the largest library of the Hennepin County Library public library system. It bills itself as having "the third largest per capita public library collection of any major city in America with a collection of more than 2.4 million items—including books, DVDs, music, government documents." The 353,000 square foot building with two levels of underground parking was designed by César Pelli and opened on May 20, 2006. It has over 300 free Internet computers for use by the public, a 8,140 square-foot atrium, a 18,560 square-foot "green" roof planted with low-growing ground cover designed to "be sun- and drought-resistant", and a host of energy-efficiency measures.
Minneapolis's original library was a private library called the Minneapolis Athenaeum. The first central library or "Minneapolis Public Library" (also known as the main library) was built in 1889 along Tenth Street and Hennepin Avenue about six blocks south of the current building. The library contained an art gallery primarily of work from the collection of library benefactor T. B. Walker.
After many decades the library was considered</p>